Friday, January 22, 2010

Pregnancy

Just for my own memories I thought I'd write about my pregnancy experience (so far!).

As I mentioned, we'd been trying to get pregnant for 2.5 years by the time it finally happened. I had had one fertility specialist appointment after 14 months of trying, but it did not go well and it put me off finding help for almost another year. Finally I felt up to booking another specialist but two weeks before my appointment I found out I was pregnant!

Telling Chris the news was an amazing experience. Thursday night he had a dream where I snuggled up in bed with him and told him I was pregnant. It actually woke him out of a deep sleep and it was only seeing me fast asleep beside him that made him realize it was a dream. Well, Sunday morning I woke up early and decided to take a pregnancy test as I was late. And it was positive! So after sitting there in shock for a bit, I crawled back into bed and re-created Chris' dream for him. I'm not sure he thought I was serious until I asked him to confirm the test results, as the line was quite faint. After he forced his eyes open enough to confirm my vision we just lay there in bed, totally thrilled.

Thus the pregnancy started. The first trimester I had many of the usual symptoms. Extreme fatigue and ongoing nausea were definitely the worst. I was only sick once during the pregnancy, but I had many moments where I got so nauseous while eating that I had to spit out whatever it was. Simple carbs became my best friends. Brushing my teeth also became a chancy proposition as my gag reflex seemed to go into overdrive whenever I brought out the toothbrush. I also found that my sense of smell was extremely sensitive.

Luckily by the second trimester I was feeling much much better. I still tired easily, but wasn't nearly as exhausted as I had been. Plus I was no longer nauseous. Overall I felt great. This was important, as Chris and I had booked a vacation to Vegas about a month before I got pregnant. Come October when we went I was able to fully enjoy our trip. Minus the booze of course! That and the smoke in the casinos, combined with my sensitive nose, meant we could only gamble first thing in the morning when there weren't many people around. We had a fantastic time, and I think we'd both love to go back some day. If only they'd make some of the casinos smoke free!


Chris and I at the Hoover Dam.


Feeling great lasted until well into my 8th month, when the expanding waistline finally started slowing me down. Likely due to my height (and thus longer torso), it took a lot longer for Coop's presence to become a problem. However, mostly due to not sleeping well, the last month or so has been rough. I'm just tired all the time these days. I am so glad to be off work so I'll be able to nap during the day and not have to wake up at 5:30am!

The only other real pregnancy symptom I've experienced has been baby brain. I never realized how badly one's memory could be affected by pregnancy, but I can no longer trust my brain! I forget everything almost instantly. And sadly, everyone tells me this continues once baby is born. I don't know how mother's manage, but I guess I'll find out soon enough! Right now it feels like I'll forget I even HAVE a baby once Coop is born! :)

All in all this has been a remarkably easy pregnancy (knock on wood). No gestational diabetes, no blood pressure problems and no major aches and pains. I can only pray the delivery goes as smoothly!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I am so excited for the Little Miracle Coop to be born!!

Anonymous said...

I am going to be checking back often for some picture updates.

natasha | sohobutterfly said...

YAY! So glad you entered the blogosphere. Cannot wait to meet Coop!

Tenzin said...

I can't wait for Coop to make his appearance!!! Hang in there, before you know it he'll be here! xoxo

The Lansbergens said...

thankfully you run on instinct not intelligence for the first...uh...decade?